IMPORTANT INFO FOR NEWCOMERS
Welcome Home to Sewall’s Point! You are going to love living here. It is a special place. Please drop by Town Hall to meet us – we are honored to be of service to you and the Town. In the meantime, please let this letter serve as a brief introduction to Sewall’s Point.
Sewall’s Point is organized by a Town Charter. We have five elected commissioners who annually elect a mayor and vice-mayor from their ranks. These public servants serve without compensation and meet regularly on the fourth Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. There are usually workshops on the second Tuesday of the month, and sometimes other meetings as well. We encourage you to attend the meetings and get involved. Check the Town’s website for meeting dates, agendas and a lot of valuable information.
We want to be sure you are aware of these special features:
- Town Commons Park – Sewall’s Point has a beautiful park with a playground for children and several benches angled to enjoy beautiful water views. You may also enjoy fishing in the river and the water retention area. The park is located across from Town Hall. You are welcome to have parties and other events there. Please check with the Town Clerk to reserve the gazebo.
- Town Events – Get to know your neighbors by participating in the many events presented by the Town and our wonderful Cultural Committee. Join us for the Winter Holiday Open House at Town Hall, the 4th of July Bicycle Parade and Family Party, the Spring Eggstravaganza, Movies under the Stars and many other fun activities. These events contribute to the feeling of community that helps to make Sewall’s Point a very special place
- Historical Markers – Sewall’s Point is full of history and even has a book written about it by local resident and historian, Sandra Thurlow. You will find historical markers in Indialucie, High Point and the Town Park; look for them as you travel through those areas. The Town of Sewall’s Point was chartered in 1957 and is named after Henry Sewall.
- Trees and Wildlife – We are a nationally recognized Tree City and an Audubon Society Certified Bird Sanctuary. We love our wildlife and our trees and carefully protect them. You must have a permit to remove any tree with a caliper of 2” or more, and heavy trimming of trees (called “hat racking”) is deemed to be effective removal. Fines are heavy, so please visit the building department in Town Hall before doing any significant tree work if you have any questions.
You will soon learn that the Sewall’s Point Police Department is a vital contributor to the feeling of community that makes Sewall’s Point special. Our officers are committed to your safety and well-being. Among the special services they provide are:
- Complimentary Video Program – The Police Department will come to your home and video tape your house for purposes of insurance or historical documentation free of charge. Please call the Police Department to schedule an appointment.
- Car Decals – The Police Department offers a “TSP” (Town of Sewall’s Point) decal should you wish to have your car recognized as a resident vehicle. This program aids in finding suspicious vehicles.
- Vacant House Check – If you are leaving town, you are welcome to visit and register your home with the Police Department. They will do periodic drive-by’s and check that your doors are locked, if that is your desire.
Code Enforcement is also taken very seriously in Sewall’s Point. These rules contribute significantly to the property values in the Town and protect the ambiance and beauty of Sewall’s Point. The municipal code provides all the detail,
Some of the important rules are…
- Overnight Parking – Overnight parking is not allowed on streets or rights-of-way.
- Trucks – Trucks with a curb weight of more than 5,000 lbs. must be garaged or completely concealed from view after 5 PM.
- Boats – Boats must be completely concealed from view at all times.
- Construction Hours – Contractors: 8 AM to 5 PM Mondays through Saturdays. Residents: 8 AM to 8 PM Mondays through Saturdays and Sundays from 10 AM to 4 PM. Noise levels cannot be over 80 decibels after 5 PM. Please be considerate of your neighbors when performing work during these hours.
- Trash – containers can be placed curbside no sooner than 5:00 the evening before scheduled pick up on Mondays and Thursdays and must be removed no later than midnight the day of pickup. Vegetative waste must be bundled or containerized and can be curbside no earlier than 24 hours before pickup on Wednesdays.
- Watering Days – When irrigation of your lawn is needed, the permitted times are as follows: Residents with odd-numbered street addresses may water on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays; residents with even-numbered street addresses may water on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. Times for both are limited to before 10 am and After 4 pm.
- Building Permits – Permits are required for all construction activity. Minor repairs approved by the Building Official may not need a permit, but you should always check first with the Building Department. Permits are issued at Town Hall.
- Pets – Each household may have no more than three animals (dogs and/or cats) that are more than six months old. Dogs must be leashed if off the owner’s property. Please pick-up the waste from your animal, it is the law! You may also register your pets at the Police Department — bring a picture so we can help recognize your pet in the event s/he is lost.
- Noxious Plants – There are prohibited species of plants that must be removed due to their invasive nature; these include Brazilian Pepper, Melaleuca, Australian Pine and Carrotwood Trees. There are limited exceptions; please check with the Building Department.
- Rentals – Short terms rentals (fewer than 180 days) are prohibited in Sewall’s Point. Should you decide to rent your property, the term must be for more than six (6) months, and requires registration at Town Hall. There is an initial fee of $150.00, with a renewal fee of $75.00 due for each year of the lease.These are just a few of the highlights that come with home ownership in Sewall’s Point.
We urge you to review all of the information available on our website and sincerely invite you to come to Town Hall for a cup of coffee and to say hello. We are here to assist you; please do not hesitate to contact us at any time.
3485 SE Willoughby Blvd
3485 SE Willoughby Blvd
Police, Fire, Ambulance
Property Appraiser’s Office, 1111 SE Federal Hwy, Suite 330
Martin Memorial, 300 Hospital Avenue
Palm Beach Post
801 Johnson Avenue
2351 S.E. Monterey Road
Martin County School Board
Felix Williams Elementary
Martin County High
6810 S US Hwy 1, Port St. Lucie, FL 34952
Cable Television – Comcast
Electric – Florida Power & Light
Trash – Waste Management
Water – Martin Co. Utilities
Supervisor of Elections, 135 Martin Luther King Blvd
TOWN HALL/TOWN CLERK/NOTARY PUBLIC:
The Town Hall is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
BUILDING DEPARTMENT/BUILDING INSPECTOR:
Applications for building permits may be obtained from 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. weekdays.
Trash and yard debris are collected on Mondays and Thursdays. Recyclables are picked upon Monday. Yard waste is picked up on Wednesday. Please note that yard waste must be bundled in lengths no longer than 4′ or 6″ in diameter, nor may it weigh more than 50 lbs. You may also use containers for yard waste up to 32 gallons and weighing 50 lbs or less. You may not use plastic bags; only recyclable yard waste bags will be accepted.
Each household may have no more than three animals (dogs and/or cats) that are more than six months old. Dogs must be leashed when off their owners’ property. Barnyard and wild animals are not permitted.
No vehicle may park on any town street, road or right-of-way overnight.
Sewall’s Point is a Tree City and as such has a strict habitat management ordinance. A permit is required for removal or relocation of any tree having a caliper diameter of 1” or more. Permit fees are nominal, however, penalties for failure to obtain a permit are severe.
TRUCK/BOAT/RECREATIONAL VEHICLE PARKING:
Contact the Police Department at (772) 781-3378 for current Code restrictions.
The accumulation or dumping or trash, debris, tree branches, etc. on improved or unimproved property is prohibited.
Residents leaving their homes unoccupied for any period of time may wish to advise the Sewall’s Point Police Department at (772) 781-3378. By doing so, they are assured of regular police checks during their absence.
CONSTRUCTION HOURS AND UNNECESSARY NOISE:
Construction work is limited to the hours of 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Monday through Saturday. No such work is permitted on Sunday. Homeowners are expected to avoid disturbing noises after 5:00 P.M. and all day on Sunday.
The Sewall’s Point Town Commission meets twice a month: on the 2nd Tuesday (workshop meeting) beginning at 5:30 PM, and on the 4th Tuesday (regular meeting) beginning at 7:00 PM. Meetings are held at Town Hall. The public is cordially invited to attend and encouraged to participate.